Let’s learn the back lunge with bicep curl.
This calisthenic will give you multiple benefits in one movement and will help firm your buttocks while you strengthen your biceps with weights.
1. Grasp a pair of dumbbells in either hand, shown in the top photo at right.
2. Step back and descend into a lunge. With a weight in each hand, complete a bicep curl. Maintain a straight back while keeping your elbows close to your torso.
3. Return to the standing/start position. Repeat six reps while stepping back with the same leg.
4. Then perform another six reps stepping back with the other leg while lifting the weights. This is a total of 12 reps.
5. You’ll work muscles in your entire lower body, abs, core and biceps.
6. Make sure to maintain great posture throughout each repetition.
7. Things to avoid: Slumping or rounding the shoulders; allowing the elbows to stray forward from the proper position which is directly under the shoulder and at your sides. You also don’t want to rush or get sloppy while performing the movement. And make sure you get deep enough in the lunge by bringing your knee toward the floor.
If you experience pain in your back, knees, hips, elbows or shoulders, do not perform this movement.
Disclaimer: Do not begin any physical activity described in this column without prior approval from your health care professional.