Sage Marichi I - aka Marichyasana I, is a deep forward fold of your body that stretches your back, shoulders and legs while lengthening your spine.
It also provides a nice massage to your internal organs.
Like all the forward bends, Marichyasana can help calm your mind and decrease stress. It can also help relieve tightness and pain in your lower back.
1. Take a good seat on a mat in Dandasana, or staff pose. Sit tall with your legs stretched in front of you, root down the heels and press your inner thighs down toward the earth.
2. Make sure your torso is directly above your sitting bones.
3. Bend the left knee and place the left foot on the floor. Your left heel should be directly in front of your left sitting bone.
4. Tilt your upper body forward and let it drape to the inside of your left thigh, as shown in the photo at left.
5. Reach your left arm forward, bend the left elbow, reach your left arm behind your back and clasp your left wrist with your right hand.
6. Inhale, lengthen your front body as you exhale, hinge from the waist and fold forward to lengthen the back of your body.
7. Extend the crown of your head toward your right toes and press your shoulders away from your ears, as shown in the photo at right.
8. Hold the pose for 5-to-10 breaths and then slowly release.
Keep practicing. Namaste.
Disclaimer: Do not begin any physical activity described in this column without prior approval from your health care professional.