Snow's Jewelers holds signup for Race for the Cure

Featured By Roselind Romero, The Miami Laker staff Friday, October 10, 2014


In the 1970’s, Snow’s Jewelers store owner, Gary Snow, held a revolutionary marketing campaign that promised all those who purchased their engagement rings from Snow's Jewelers would be driven to their wedding ceremony in style in a Rolls Royce, complimentary of the store.

Decades have elapsed since that memorable campaign, but Gary and his daughter Marisa have never strayed from their roots to give back to the community. For 2014, they are partnering with the local Susan G. Komen chapter for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to host a sign-up event on Saturday, October 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for the annual Race for the Cure in Bayfront Park.

“We always try to do something to give back to the community and at the suggestion of one of our staff members we decided to partner with the local Susan G. Komen chapter,” said Marisa.

Snow’s Jewelers is the only location in Miami Lakes hosting a sign-up. They are also giving away “pink” gift bags to the first 50 people who sign-up.

Vivana Valdez, owner of Moda by Pasarela on Main Street, Snow’s Jewelers’ neighbor, is creating a one-of-kind breast cancer awareness gift basket stocked with multiple “pink” items for women to be raffled off to those who purchase a raffle ticket while signing up at Snow’s Jewelers.

Snow’s Jewelers also sells Chamilia bracelets and charms which have a variety of “pink” themed charms. Along with the purchase of any Chamilia charm is a note corresponding to that charm, like the breast cancer awareness charm with a comment on strength that reads: “Day after day you face life’s challenges with perseverance. Your resiliency and determination inspire us to have courage, to take chances and believe we can.”

If purchasing a “pink” gift for a loved one, purchase at Snow’s during October to have a portion of your purchase to go toward finding a cure. In addition to raising awareness and hosting a sign up event, Snow’s Jewelers will also donate 5 percent of the total sales for the month of October to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale chapter of Susan G. Komen.

Another Miami Laker eager to raise awareness and funds for a cure is Madelyn Reus, longtime local resident and daughter of Elsa Reus, Miami Lakes community member and staff member of Our Lady of the Lakes Church and School. Madelyn is the Development and Public Relations manager for the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale chapter and is working with Snow’s Jewelers in hosting the sign-up.

“We hope everyone will come out and give their support and learn more about the affiliates participating in sign-ups like Snow’s Jewelers," said Reus.

Of the funds raised by affiliates like Snow’s Jewelers, 75 percent will go to grants for local hospitals to continue screening and educating medically underserved community members in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties. The remaining 25 percent is funneled to national grant programs that promote and aid in finding a cure all around the world.

After signing up, participants in the walk will need to pick up a packet detailing the event activities, location and other pertinent information. The closest location for packet pick-up is Gus Machado Ford at 1200 W. 49 Street in Hialeah on October 15 from 12 to 7 p.m.

Susan G. Komen's Race for the Cure is designed to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. The race is scheduled for Saturday, October 18, from 7:30 to 10:15 a.m. and will include a survivor procession, ceremony, options for a 5K timed run, or 5K untimed walk, a tot run, and a celebration following the race.

Registration fees range from $10 for children to $45 for timed runners. There will be over 20,000 participants so those interested in signing up should expect road closures and detours. It is recommend participants arrive early. No handbags or bookbags will be allowed at the race.

Even those who do not wish to run or walk, but want to participate can register to “Sleep In for the Cure.” A special snooze bib and race t-shirt will be mailed to sleepy participants after they register.

For more information, visit or contact Snow’s Jewelers at 305-556-0511.