Miami Lakes 'Women of Distinction' honored at Women's Month lunch
Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Miami Lakes Cultural Affairs Committee hosted a luncheon on March 30 at Shula’s Hotel on Main Street in honor of Women’s History Month. The event was sponsored by The Graham Companies.
Miami Lakes resident Lorena E. Bravo, Esq. the director of the Law Department for the City of Hialeah, introduced the keynote speaker, Miami Lakes resident the Honorable Judge Monica Gordo, with a moving history of her education, public service and continued commitment to the community.
The Cultural Affairs Committee had extended an opportunity for the community to nominate “Women of Distinction” who either live or work in Miami Lakes.
The award recipients included:
• Arts - Alena Beasley, an art teacher at Our Lady of the Lakes Catholic School.
• Business - Dr. Kristina Christoph, owner of Family Dentistry and Orthodontics of Miami Lakes.
• Community and Civic Affairs – Dorothy Cook, former president of the Miami Lakes Civic Association, former president of the Garden Club and former Town councilmember.
• Education - Lourdes Isla-Marrero, founding principal of a Mater Gardens Academy and the dean of Education for Doral College.
• Government - Kenia Fallat, Miami-Dade Police Department.
• Health Services - Dr. Ruth Schobel, pediatrician.
• Humanitarian - Martha Gonzalez, Project TeamWork.
• Volunteer - Yesenia Ruano, president of the Bob Graham Education Center PTSA.